I'm pretty obsessed with avocados and could easily eat one a day. Luckily enough, avocados are amazingly good for you. People often shy away from avocado as, for a fruit, it has a high calorie and fat content - but it has some major benefits - the fats are monounsaturated, which help keep your heart healthy, lower cholesterol and fill you up quicker and for longer. They also do wonders for your eyes, skin and hair. I could go on, but I think we all get it - avocados are great. Good thing they taste so good as I, for one, cannot bring myself to eat something I don't like, no matter how good it is for you (celery, I'm looking at you here.)
There are loads of ways to enjoy avocado, my favourite guacamole that I made for my black bean burgers has chilli and coriander in but what I really like is avocado on toast. It's the easiest, quickest thing to eat when really hungry and is perfect for any time of the day. These are 3 of my favourite ways to have it but there are plenty of others too.
1. Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese and Avocado
2. Chicken, Spicy Salsa and Avocado
3. Naked Avocado
You Will Need:
3 thick slices seeded spelt bread (or any nice, fresh loaf of your choice)
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread all 3 slices with a thin layer of cream cheese (I used slightly more on one slice for the smoked salmon, you could leave the other two without, or use butter/marg instead).
- Spread a generous amount of salsa over one of the slices of toast.
- Top on slice of toast with the smoked salmon and another with the cooked chicken.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice over the smoked salmon.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh. (when they're really nice and ripe the skin should peel off easily).
- Put half the avocado in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork, add a few drop of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the other half of the avocado and distribute between the chicken and salmon topped pieces of toast.
- Spread the mashed avocado over the plain slice of toast.
- Finish all three slices with salt and pepper.
The naked mashed avocado also goes really well topped with a perfectly poached egg...